E-flite UMX Spacewalker
The E-flite UMX Spacewalker is an ultra-micro indoor/outdoor model airplane designed, manufactured and distributed by Horizon Hobby of Champaign, Illinois.
Introduced in late 2014, the three-channel foam scale model for intermediate pilots is available in a BNF version which may be linked to any Spektrum or JR radio or an RTF version with transmitter. Both versions include a 70mAh 3.7V lithium polymer battery, E-flite single-port AC/DC battery charger (EFLC1002) and four AA-cell batteries to power the charger. Options include the E-flite Celectra four-port charger (EFLC1004) and the E-flite 6VDC charger power supply (EFLC1005).
Scale details include a pilot bust, clear windshield and simulated engine cylinders.
Although the Spacewalker lacks the proprietary AS3X stabilization technology found on four-channel UMX models, the Spacewalker is an excellent flyer both indoors and outdoors, although conditions must be dead calm or very nearly so in order to fly outdoors. Ground handling with the steerable tail wheel is excellent as well.
The brushed motor and gearbox provide more than adequate power despite being powered by a tiny single-cell battery. Multiple loops are possible from level flight, but the three-channel configuration prevents any further aerobatics other than death spiral spins.
Exceptionally light wing loading makes for long, easy landings which may be glided in.
- Wingspan: 16.5" (418mm)
- Length: 11.6" (295mm)
- Wing area: 45.3 sq. in. (292sq cm)
- Airfoil: Asymmetrical
- Flying weight: 0.78 oz (22g)
- Construction: Expanded polystyrene foam airframe, scale details and wheels; steel landing gear; steel and carbon fiber pushrods; plastic propeller and windshield
- Motor: 6mm brushed with gearbox
- Propeller: E-flite 100x60 micro
- Battery: E-flite 3.7V 1S 70mAh lithium polymer or equivalent
- Claimed flight time: 5-9 minutes
- Operator skill level/age: Intermediate; 14+
- Catalog number (BNF version): EFLU2780
- Retail/selling prices (BNF version, USD): $99.99/$79.99