The Micro-Jet is a small Elapor foam model with a pusher motor and elevon control. It was widely criticised for being underpowered and hard to launch, but with a modern power system it is fast and smooth.
- 1 Specifications
- 2 Launching
- 3 Motors
- 4 Batteries
- 4.1 The Mods!
- 4.1.1 Custom Mounts
- 4.1.2 Canard
- 4.1.3 CF Spar Length of Foam
- 4.1.4 EDF
- 4.1.5 Landing Gear
- 4.1.6 Paint Jobs
- 4.1.7 LEDs
- 4.1.8 Carnage
- 4.1.9 Fin Chop
- 4.1.10 Extended Turtle-Deck
- 4.1.11 Flat Hatch
- 4.1.12 Elevon Hinge
- 4.1.13 Removable Fins
- 4.1.14 reduced aileron throws / exponential
- 4.1.15 scooping out the foam to enlarge hatch
- 4.1.16 sanded epoxy
- 4.1.17 min wax WBPU
- 4.1.18 hot glue/CA in the elevon hinge
- 4.1 The Mods!
- Wingspan: 26 in
- Length: 23.6 in
- Wing Area: 201 in sq.
- Weight: 15.9 oz
- Wing Loading: 8.80 oz. | sq. ft.
A page to summarize mods, popular motors, etc for the Multiplex Micro-Jet (MJ), as found at Multiplex USA.
note: Xorbe is through pg 30 of the thread so far.
The short wingspan causes a lot of a torque-roll when the model is thrown. An unwary pilot can easily find the model inverted after launching. A number of techniques have been used successfully:
- A Bungee can be used to reach flying speed before the motor is started.
- Tipping the model to the right (i.e. starboard wing down) while throwing, so the torque rolls the model upright.
- Half power, reducing the torque effect.
- Sufficiently powerful models can be launched into a 45 degree climb, where they have the height to perform a complete roll - this is obviously not for the faint-of-heart!
The stock power system is a 6v speed400 motor and an 8 cell 500mAh nicad (or 1100mAh Nimh) battery, but this is underpowered by today's standards.
In-runners or canned out-runners are a quick replacement for the stock Speed 400 brushed motor. Bare out-runners will require more creativity to mount (usually an L-shaped aluminium bracket). For a 3s battery, the motor should have a Kv between 2000 and 3500 with a 5x4.5" prop.
- Mega 16/15/3 or 16/15/4
- JustGoFly 450TH or 400DF or 300DF
- Hobby Lobby LittleScreamers Park Jet, Purple Peril
The stock nicad weighs 150g, about the same as a 3s 1800mAh battery. A 3s 2200mAh battery will just fit, but needs to be right at the back of the battery bay.